Friday, February 29, 2008

Did I Say Something About the Tchaik 5th?

I believe I did, and I think I was right, because guess who's playing it in Los Angeles next year:

VISITING ORCHESTRAS
Walt Disney Concert Hall
Monday, January 26, 2009, at 8 PM
San Francisco Symphony
Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor
Garrick Ohlsson, piano
THOMAS Street Song
PROKOFIEV Piano Concerto No. 5
TCHAIKOVSKY Symphony No. 5

I'll pass, thank you, but an early heads-up: I plan to attend these two:

LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC
Walt Disney Concert Hall
Thursday, January 15, 2009, at 8 PM
Saturday, January 17, 2009, at 8 PM
Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor
Peter Sellars, director
Dawn Upshaw, soprano
Michael Schumacher, dancer
Los Angeles Master Chorale, Grant Gershon, music director
SAARIAHO La Passion de Simone (LAPA commission; West Coast premiere)

LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC
Walt Disney Concert Hall
Friday, January 16, 2009, at 8 PM
Sunday, January 18, 2009, at 2 PM
Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor
Katia and Marielle Labèque, pianos
JANÁ EK Sinfonietta
ANDRIESSEN Double Piano Concerto (LAPA commission; world premiere)
STRAVINSKY The Rite of Spring

5 comments:

Michael Walsh said...

If they're taking it on the road then they'll definitely be playing it at home first. Good grief. Well, that's one week I can skip.

The other two look like a great weekend trip!

Michael Walsh said...

From that comment thread:

Henry Holland said...

Haha, for Esa-Pekka Salonen it would be "Oh god, Le Sacre du Printemps *again*"? :-)


And there it is on 1/16,18!

Lisa Hirsch said...

I guess I'd rather hear Sacre a little too often than the Tchaik 5th. Plus, live I've only heard MTT, and would love to hear Salonen in it.

Yes, a weekend trip is what I'm thinking. Debating whether I can stay until Wednesday and catch Tuesday night's Green Umbrella concert.

Henry Holland said...

Have to say, pretty weak tea overall for the LAP in Salonen's last season. I don't like the fact that he's not conducting the last concerts of the season, that there's other concerts after his all-Stravinsky concerts. It just seems......sad, like his leaving is just another freakin' subscription concert.

I fervently hope that with the departure of E-PS, Peter Sellars will vacate the premises too.

Still, some interesting pieces sprinkled among the dross: Kurtag's Stele, Ligeti's Atmospheres and Clocks and Clouds, the Green Umbrella Kurtag evening.

An all-Brahms evening, *SHUDDER*

Don't like the Vienna Philharmonic's programs much either. Why did the SFS have to program Brahms with the great 3 Orchestral Pieces of Berg? WHHHHYYYYYY? :-D

Oh well, I won't have to budget all that much money for tickets at least!

Lisa Hirsch said...

I finished reading the list of concerts and I agree completely about the weaknesses. At least the all-Vivaldi snoozefest by the Venice Chamber Orch (or whatever) will be easy to avoid.

SFS announces on Monday. I have various bets with myself about how much Messiaen and Carter there'll be.

Oh, come to think of it - there's no Messiaen scheduled for LAPO for next season and no Carter. Sheesh.