Monday, November 10, 2008

The Things I Do for Love

I have tickets to San Francisco Performances' magnificent Carter Centenary Celebration on December 6 and 7, and wild horses couldn't drag me away. This means I'm missing the following great stuff:
  • Other Minds New Music Seance, three concerts on December 6 at the Swedenborgian Church at 1 p.m., 4 p.m., and 8 p.m. The last program especially makes me weep: Ruth Crawford and her milieu, including music by Cowell and Beyer. Personal to Sarah Cahill: the date on your web site is December 8. I wish!
  • The San Francisco Opera Adler Fellows concert, where the highlight, for me, would be the mighty-voiced Heidi Melton taking on Isolde's Narrative and Curse.

11 comments:

sarah said...

Thanks for the reminder of the website error, Lisa. I'll get that corrected as soon as possible. But please do come to one or two of the Other Minds seance programs earlier in the afternoon on the 6th... you'll still have time to get something to eat before the Carter concert. I hope to see you!

Lisa Hirsch said...

Ai ai ai, Saturday at the Carter celebration has events at 10 a.m., 2 p.m., and 7 p.m.

Unknown said...

Jealous!

Lisa Hirsch said...

Vacation?

Unknown said...

I'd have to apply for a grant.

Anonymous said...

Hello Lisa, glad you're coming to the Carter! You do have another chance to hear Heidi Melton - she'll be performing as part of SFP's Salon Series at the Hotel Rex on February 4.

sarah said...

Okay, Lisa, which would you really rather hear: Elliott Carter, or Ruth Crawford, Meredith Monk, Lois V Vierk, Grazyna Bacewicz, Gabriela Frank, and Johanna Beyer? (we've also added a Vivian Fine piece at the Other Minds seance).
I know it's a tough decision. And I'm sorry to miss the Carter performances, actually, with such great musicians involved. Have a wonderful time there!

Lisa Hirsch said...

Waaaah. I want it all. The Other Minds program is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Could I squeeze in the 1 pm Other Minds concert between my 10.30 AM meeting and my 5 PM meeting? I don't think so. Rats.

Civic Center said...

"Other Minds Seance," all three of them, since I'll be creating the multimedia ghosts and program titles above the altar. I think it's totally cool this is all happening on the same day, by the way. Say hello to Patrick Vaz at the Carter.

Lisa Hirsch said...

That makes me even sorrier I can't be in two places at once!