Wednesday, November 05, 2008

YES WE CAN

In the fall of 2007, Google hosted a number of presidential candidates, whose talks can still be seen on YouTube. I attended the talks by Bill Richardson, John Edwards, and John McCain. (That's me asking a public health question somewhere near the end of Edwards's visit.) I should have attended Hillary Clinton's. You couldn't get into Barack Obama's; there was a line halfway around the Googleplex of people who wanted to get in.

On the way back to my office after one of these talks, I overheard the following comment:
As a young conservative, I have to say that these liberals don't understand that Americans are not ready to elect a woman or black man to the presidency.
I glanced at the speaker and said nothing, but I was thinking "We'll see about that, won't we."

We have seen, and perhaps the young conservative, who must feel mighty outnumbered at this liberal company, is reconsidering his statement.

No comments: