Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Road Trip Playlist

I'm bringing along a weird assortment of CDs:
  • Schubert, String Quartets 12 and 15, Alban Berg Quartet
  • French Cafe Songs, disc 2 of 2
  • Barry Schrader, Monkey King
  • Early French Tenors, Marston Records
  • Wind Quintets by Nielsen, Ligeti, Depraz, Nielsen Wind Quintet
  • Busoni, Piano Concerto, Dohnanyi/Ohlsson, Cleveland SO. Intruiged by the credit to the Men's Chorus of the orchestra.
  • Hesperion XXI, Villancicos y Danzas Criollas
  • Moravec, Tempest Fantasy and other works, natch.

5 comments:

Michael said...

You've not heard the Busoni? The tenors sing in the final movement, so I keep hoping I'll have a chance to do it someday. I heard Ohlsson perform this in Boston around the time of this recording and it was magnificent. Enjoy it!

Lisa Hirsch said...

I had not heard it before yesterday, when I managed to hear the whole thing, just barely, while driving from Santa Fe to Albuquerque. I find myself at a loss for words. :) It's quite....uh....something, so incredibly long and discursive, and something of a mess.

billy said...

It's a beautiful mess though...for some reason the piano entrance in the first movement reminds me of Grand Pianola Music. I just love that he was like, "I really like Mahler 2...what if I just did that, in a Piano Concerto?"

Lisa Hirsch said...

Haha, yeah.

I can see why it never gets performed, since it's as long as a Mahler symphony....but nobody knows it, except Garrick Ohlsson. And what would you put on the program with it?!

Tim said...

Elgar's Violin Concerto.