Thursday, January 21, 2010

Solo, Duo, Trio, Quartet

Reviewing the San Francisco Symphony Chamber Music Concert, Sunday, January 17, 2010. Music of Debussy, Benjamin, and Britten.

My first review in six months!

A couple of things I didn't say: Davies is too damn big for chamber music, even with a small shell behind the players. And why did it seem that Jonathan Vinocour and Yun Jie Liu put out a larger volume of sound than the string quartet did? Because they were standing and closer to the shell?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Davies is too damn big for chamber music." Well, that's for sure.

Go up to the second balcony center rear, and Davies is even too big for orchestral music.

Where were you sitting?

Lisa Hirsch said...

I was in Row W of the orchestra section - surprisingly far back for a reviewer. The upstairs sections weren't even open.

I completely disagree with you about second balcony rear, by which I assume you mean what they call the Second Tier. The sound there is better than anyplace in the house other than the orchestra. The worst is second tier and those side seats in the second tier where you can more or less watch the sound going by you because you're looking directly across the hall.

Anonymous said...

I'd be pleased if as many people as possible share your opinion. That leaves more opportunity for me to get the good seats.