Friday, November 19, 2010

Timely Reminder: Chora Nova, Nov. 20, 2010

Our all-Haydn program, in which we'll perform the Harmoniemesse (Wind-Band Mass), the Te Deum in Bb for Empress Marie-Therese, and Der Sturm, a dramatic part song. Everything sounded really good at our regular rehearsal, and I hear the orchestra is terrific.

Saturday, Nov. 20, 2010
8 p.m.
$20 / $18 / $10
First Presbyterian Church
Dana and Durant
Berkeley, CA

(This is NOT First Congregational, where we usually perform. First Pres. is diagonally across the intersection.)

Note that there's a Cal basketball game tomorrow night and parking in the area will be harder than usual.

2 comments:

Rhishikesh Limaye said...

Loved the concert yesterday. Harmoniemesse is as expected -- harmonic, fugal, symmetric, mathematical music churned out in those times. But I liked Der Sturm the most. The variations on its last line are simply beautiful.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Glad you liked it! I was less dissatisfied with my own singing than I usually am, as I said at the after party, so that counts as a success - the horrors of being a perfectionist.

Have you sung the Harmoniemesse? I do not consider it routine or churned out by any means. It's longer and more complex than the Nelson and Mass in Time of War, and there are placing where he is inventing late Beethoven 20 years early.