Friday, May 04, 2012

Help Me, Please

Another concert pile-up is on the way.
  • New Century Chamber Orchestra, including Zwillich premier, May 10-13
  • SFS, Barbary Coast and Beyond, a crazy and highly entertaining-looking potpourri concert, May 10-12, with MTT and an assortment of soloists including Laura Claycomb
  • Kronos Quartet, May 11-12, program called Women's Voices
  • NYPO at Davies, May 13-14 (I have a ticket to the May 13 program, for the Lindberg)
Theoretically, I could attend all of those, but practically speaking, I can't. I think it'll be Barbary Coast and Beyond, plus the NYPO. Sometimes I've gotten have fun.

3 comments:

Elaine Fine said...

You receive no sympathy from me! The local concert season is practically over here, and the only concerts I know of that have had "classical" music by women (aside from our local lesbian/feminist chorus, which tends to concentrate on choral arrangements of songs from various traditions) are concerts I have put together.

(I'd go with the Zwillich premiere, if I had to make a choice from your list.)

Lisa Hirsch said...

Sorry!

The Kronos program has four works by women composers new to me.

Lisa Hirsch said...

From the press release:

Entitled WOMEN’S VOICES, the concerts include the world premiere of All Clear, a new piece written and performed by multi-instrumentalist, singer and composer Vân-Ánh Vanessa Võ; the world premiere of Mosaic (from music of Delia Derbyshire): in memory of Connie Sterne, an exploration of musical themes by the late Delia Derbyshire; as well as three Bay Area premieres: Laurie Anderson’s Flow, Nicole Lizée’s Death to Kosmische, and Derek Charke’s Tundra Songs featuring Inuit throat singer Tanya Tagaq.