Thursday, May 10, 2012

This Can't Go On Forever...

but one can hope it will continue for a while:


CONTACT!  
THE NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC’S NEW-MUSIC SERIES
Season’s Second Program To Feature WORLD PREMIERE of  ELLIOTT CARTER’s Two Controversies and a Conversation,U.S. PREMIERE of MICHAEL JARRELL’s NACHLESE Vb: Liederzyklus,
And PIERRE BOULEZ’s ... explosante-fixe …  
Friday, June 8, 2012, at The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Saturday, June 9, 2012, at Peter Norton Symphony Space  
DAVID ROBERTSON To Conduct Both Concerts
WNYC’s JOHN SCHAEFER To Host June 8 Performance 


(emphasis mine. No, I have no idea why MD Alan Gilbert isn't conducting this program.)

5 comments:

Daniel Wolf said...

I believe that this program is built around Robertson's strengths. It could pass for an Ensemble Contemporain program.

Lisa Hirsch said...

That certainly makes sense. Wish I could see it!!

Joe Barron said...

Bruce H and I will be there the 9th, I believe. Not very familiar with Gilbert's ideas about repertoire. Is he uncomfortable with the avant-garde?

Lisa Hirsch said...

I've heard most of Gilbert's SFS appearances in the last few years, plus I've heard him once with the NYPO.

He has an affinity for composers from Finland and Scandinavia: I've heard top-notch Lindberg, Sibelius, and Nielsen. He did some terrific Ades and good Adams at these concerts. His Classical-era performances have been....competent.

He's done Ligeti and Janacek operas in NYC.

I don't think he has programmed much modernist music (Carter, Babbitt, Boulez, etc.) at NYPO.

Joe Barron said...

Well, to be fair, no one has.