Saturday, March 22, 2014

A Note to Nonprofits

If you're an organization whose primary purpose is fund-raising for a Good Cause, your web site had better tell me exactly where the money goes, or you're not getting a cent out of me. The following isn't good enough, for example:
[Organization name deleted] raises money for breast cancer research, treatment, and educational programs.  
Your web site doesn't say anything about where the money you raise goes. This is a serious governance issue and a problem of transparency.

There are breast cancer (and general cancer) organizations I actively avoid (Susan G. Komen, ACS) and organizations I donate to (Breast Cancer Action, Women's Cancer Resource Center). Because I have no idea what [organization name] does with money it takes in, I'm not donating.

No comments: