Friday, October 31, 2014

Now We Are Ten

My first posting introduced me, and some of the details are still true. In my third posting, I blamed opera-l.

But actually, I should have blamed Alex Ross. I started blogging because I saw that he had a blog (and a very good blog it is). In the last decade, I've had years with more and fewer postings, depending on my energy at any given moment or in any week, or my determination to stick with a story. Or even depending on whether I'm on a shuttle to work that has tables. (Maybe you can use a laptop on your lap, but I can't.) I've occasionally thought about shutting down the blog and putting my energy elsewhere, but invariably that just means I need a short break.

It's been a great ten years. I've loved meeting my readers and fellow bloggers, whether by email or in comments or in person or on the phone. You energize me, goad me, make me think, and occasionally enrage me. Thank you for reading me, and I hope to still be doing this in another ten years.


9 comments:

Patrick J. Vaz said...

happy blogaversary! and I'm looking forward to the next ten years

Lisa Hirsch said...

Thank you, Patrick!

john_burke100 said...

Congratulations and thanks. I wasn't a reader from Day One but certainly for several years now, and I like not only your music posts but the non-music ones too.

Have I mentioned the LIeder and Art Song Web site? It's an incredible resource and while many people have contributed material--texts, translations--the site was created, and is kept going, by the efforts of one heroic person, Emily Ezust. I would really like to see her get a generous grant from somewhere--the NEA, a conservatory, a foundation that focuses on the arts. Any ideas about how to help this along?

Tom DePlonty said...

Congratulations, Lisa, and blog on!

Lisa Hirsch said...

Thanks, Tom!

John, you mean LiederNet?

I'm surprised that the REC Music Foundation, where the site is hosted, isn't already giving her some help with development, and that's the first place she might turn to. (If you are curious about the REC Foundation, presumably they file an annual 990 tax form, which can be viewed at GuideStar or similar site.)

I seriously doubt that the NEA will fund a non-academic project such as this, which doesn't involve original research. Emily might try getting the site attached to another existing nonprofit, such as IMSLP (Petrucci Music Library) or Choral Public Domain Library.

John Marcher said...

Happy ten year anniversary, Lisa. That's quite a milestone, and I'm glad you never stopped. Here's to ten more!

Lisa Hirsch said...

Thank you!

CK Dexter Haven said...

A belated congratulations, Lisa! Here's to many more decades going forward . . .

Lisa Hirsch said...

Thank you so much!