Thursday, February 04, 2016

Non-Renewal

Just sent email to the SFO subscription department:
Dear Ms. [representative], 
Thank you again. I have decided not to renew my subscription in any way, shape, or form. That is the best way I know to tell SF Opera how unhappy I am with the upcoming season, which has uninteresting repertory choices and (mostly) disappointing casting. 
I will buy single seats or go standing room to those operas I want to see.
The money don't spend at SFO is going to Philharmonia Baroque and West Edge Opera. I will re-up at SFO when there's a season of interest.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I completely agree with you. Next season is a joke.

Lisa Hirsch said...

I am sure it is making Maria Manetti Shrem and Jan Shrem, who are the big sponsors of the Italian Opera Fund, very happy.

CruzSF said...

Congratulations on your guts. I'm still planning to renew at half-subscription for Dream of the Red Chamber and Andrea Chenier, plus the visual artist designing Aida, but my thoughts on the new season are similar to yours.

Lisa Hirsch said...

I seriously considered doing something like that and then choked on the thought of providing any financial support whatsoever for the season. Debating whether to look around for paid review so that I can say honestly that I'd have to be paid to attend.