Monday, April 24, 2017

When Databases Don't Communicate

I received the following somewhat amusing email from San Francisco Opera:

We noticed you were looking into Rigoletto. We're thrilled to present a dazzling cast under the baton of Music Director Nicola Luisotti, who infuses this classic masterpiece with "breathless urgency" (San Francisco Chronicle).
Dear Lisa,
We noticed you were looking into Rigoletto. We're thrilled to present a dazzling cast under the baton of Music Director Nicola Luisotti, who infuses this classic masterpiece with "breathless urgency" (San Francisco Chronicle).

We look forward to seeing you at the Opera House soon!
LISTEN TO THE MUSIC
BUY TICKETS
Questions? Our friendly and knowledgeable Box Office staff are here to help!


Only somewhat amusing, because

1) It's ambiguous whether this is trying to sell me a ticket, but I bought a Rigoletto ticket last year
2) most people don't understand how an email such as the above even gets sent
3) some percentage of SFO customers will find it upsetting to receive email such as this

Either I was logged in to the SFO web site when I last looked around at who was singing what or the site deduced my identity from a tracking cookie. That information went to the marketing software that sent me the email above, but there is no point in this process where the ticketing database is checked to see whether the target (that's me) already has a ticket. (I think, because it's ambiguous.)

I'll probably be sending this email along to the right person at SFO to suggest adding such a check, but in the meantime, I've got an addition to the publicity basics page: Don't Make Your Customers Think You Are Stalking Them.


2 comments:

Eric G said...

Publicity basics? I think you mean Marketing basics. But, yes, I entirely agree on your point. It's a bit creepy. If they really wanted to target those they knew looked but didn't buy a ticket, then they need to be more subtle and strategic about it.

JSC said...

These emails are both creepy and irritating and I wish there was a way to end or unsubscribe from them without totally removing myself from the SFO mailing list. Last time I tried, there was no such capability. It unsubscribed me from everything and I had to sign back up again. If you discover a way, please pass it on to us. Thanks!