Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Speaking Engagement

Since this news is landing in various mailboxes even as I write, I might as well confess:

I'll be speaking at the Northern California Wagner Society in early July. The topic is "Lauritz Melchior: Threat or Menace? Sui Generis or Best of a Good Bunch?" and the idea is to give some context to the famous heldentenor and his career. I'll be playing recordings by the Great Dane himself and a host of other tenors, some likely familiar to you, others possibly not.

Details:

Saturday, July 7, 2012
1 p.m.
Jewish Community Center of San Francisco (the obvious place for a Wagner Society meeting)
3200 California St.
San Francisco, CA
Non-members $10 donation

The JCC is on the MUNI 1 California St. line. There's parking in the JCC's garage for $3/hour, max $15.

2 comments:

Daniel Wolf said...

Have you ever seen any of Melchior's Hollywood films? Just the idea of the older Jimmy Durante (with all due respect for his earlier musical achievements) and Melchior (ditto) sharing two films is troubling.

Lisa Hirsch said...

I've seen excerpts but never a whole film. Netflix, here I come!