Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Name That Tune!

A game played in many places, including The Well, where I've had an account for many years.

My friend Mike Walsh put together a particularly fiendish round of Name That Tune recently. Here's what he said about it:

The three clips are about 40 seconds each, and I'm confident everyone [reading this on the Well] can name the tunes. There are two meta-questions:
  1. What do all three clips have in common?
  2. What distinguishes each clip from the other two?
So, what are the tunes, and what are the answers to the questions about? The clips are here, in MP3 format. I wish there were a way to hide blog comments from view.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got four clips. I know what they are, haven't figured out the meta-answers yet, but why four?

Anonymous said...

There are 3 clips, although it may be hard to tell the breaks. I've set up the clips with individual links:

Clip 1

Clip 2

Clip 3

Hope that helps!

Scott said...

Hmm, Dukas, Brahms(?), and Beethoven. I'd call the commonality that all three clips are at the retransition leading to the recapitulation. The Sorcerer's Apprentice is a symphonic poem, the third is a symphony, and I'm still not sure if the second one is a Brahms overture, symphony, or something by Schumann (the rhythmic shift at the recap sounds Brahmsian to me).

Anonymous said...

They're all in triple meter, two of them are in three flats... oy. I give up.

Anonymous said...

Hint: what is wrong with each of these clips?

Anonymous said...

Okay. No more guesses. Answers are posted here.