Monday, October 13, 2008

Three Cheers

Early-morning conversation chez nous:

"That copy of The Conscience of a Liberal is more valuable than it was yesterday."

"Why's that?"

"Because it was signed by a Nobel laureate."

I slept badly last night - no, wait, I slept fine until I popped awake around 3:30 or so. Around 4:30 or 5 I was looking over the Times web site when the headline Krugman Wins Economics Nobel caught my eye. I would have whooped madly if it hadn't been so early.

Krugman is among the best political columnists out there: passionate, liberal, lucid, smart, able to explain complicated economic concepts to people like you and me. He has also done important work in economics; this wasn't the first big prize he'd won.

Congratulations from here, and keep up the good work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krugman and Frank Rich are the only two NYT columnists I bother to read. It's good to know the Nobel committee shares my regard. I feel vindicated.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Krugman's great. His blog is also essential for tracking the economic world.