- Joshua Kosman
- Janos Gereben
- Opera Tattler ("stunning" is exactly right)
- Civic Center ("the performance turned out to be of legendary quality," with great credit to Runnicles)
- I filed my own too-long rave and have now linked to it. A point I did not manage to jam into the review: the incredibly beautiful orchestral counterpoint and rubato during Act I. How I love Donald Runnicles.
- A Beast in a Jungle likes the singing and conducting, hates the production.
- Mlle. La Taupe at parterre box. Um, I admit to some confusion over the reference to leather trench coats in German productions, considering that this Ring is produced by two American companies and directed by an American.
Saturday, June 12, 2010
Media Roundup on Die Walkuere, SF Opera
Honestly, I can barely remember the last time everybody agreed about the greatness of a performance. Yeah, there are some quibbling differences, but never mind. (Well, almost everybody!)