Sunday, April 24, 2011

Osmo Vanska at SFS

Media roundup, including my own review:
  • Me, in SFCV.
  • Joshua Kosman in the Chron. He's rather more to the point than me about the problems with Barantschik's Mendelssohn VC. "Someone forgot to tell him he was the star," indeed. Let's just say that a terrific concertmaster does not always a terrific soloist make.
  • David Scott Marley, at Scratchings, liked the Mendelssohn better.
  • Opera Tattler
  • kalimac
Kalimac seems to be the outlier on how the RVW went, not that he actually disliked it; everyone heard essentially the same things about the Mendelssohn, with some liking how Barantschik played lots better than Joshua and I did. I'm the outlier on the Larcher, liking it more than everyone else, and, yeah, it was obvious that James Keller hadn't heard the piece.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. I'd wondered why David Scott Marley hadn't posted anything in two years, and it turns out he'd just moved his blog address and didn't say anything about it on the old one. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Lisa Hirsch said...

I'm trying to remember how I knew the blog had moved and I am not sure. Maybe I saw it on the Well?