Friday, February 29, 2008

Advice: See Pieczonka, not Lukacs

Los Angeles Opera has some performances of Tosca coming up - hmm, now that I peer more closely at the press release, I see that they're in May and June. I would have expected to receive this press release in April, but whatever.

Two casts are splitting the performances: Adrianne Pieczonka and Neil Shicoff (called "one of the great tenors of our time" - not by me) in the first cast, Georgina Lukacs and Gwyn Hughes Jones in the second. Juan Pons sings Scarpia throughout the run.

Based on Lukacs's badly-sung Lady Macbeth in San Francisco this past fall, I'd suggest giving her a pass. The first cast conductor is Placido Domingo, a great tenor who doesn't belong on the podium, alas.

8 comments:

Michael Walsh said...

I heard Neil Shicoff in this role last spring in Vienna, opposite Eszter Sumegi. Looking back, my impression was that he did well in the "this sells records to people who like tenors" parts but not much else.

Anonymous said...

Shicoff was excellent in his prime, many years ago.

Couldn't agree more about Lukacs and Domingo, though the latter is the conductor only for the last 3 (of 4) of the shows with the SECOND cast. First is Sir Richard Armstrong.

The Opera Tattler said...

I'm almost curious to hear Lukas in Tosca, just because she was so awful as Lady Macbeth.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Long trip to watch a train wreck. :)

Anonymous said...

If Neil Shicoff is considered "one of the great tenors of our time," I feel bad for the time in which we live. Luckily, he does the audience a favor and cancels about 80% of the time.

Pieczonka is quite lovely, alas; between her Met Sieglindes and her LA Contessas, I'm hooked. Lukacs...not a fan.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Heh, press-release hyperbole.

We're getting Pieczonka's Tosca here next season; I'm willing to go standing room to hear her.

Anonymous said...

Lukacs as Tosca was great...i loved her

Lisa Hirsch said...

Really? Did she sing on pitch, without wobble or harshness?