Friday, September 21, 2018

Berkeley Symphony Season Opening

Berkeley Symphony is in for an exciting year or two as they search for a new music director; the last time this happened, the programs were really interesting (okay, this is usually the case with Berkeley Symphony) and the range of conducting equally interesting.

Their season opener is in about two weeks. I wish I could be there, but I'll be, well, far away. Their date is between my performances of Tristan und Isolde and the new opera Bérénice.

Otherwise, I'd be eager to see this:

Thursday, October 4, 2018, 7p – HIGDON & RAVEL
Zellerbach Hall, 101 Zellerbach Way, Berkeley

Berkeley Symphony
Ming Luke, Guest Conductor
Benjamin Beilman, Violin
 
Dimitri Shostakovich: Festive Overture, Op. 96
Jennifer Higdon: Violin Concerto
Anna Clyne: Night Ferry
Maurice Ravel: La Valse

2 comments:

Mike A. said...

What a small world! I'll be at Bérénice too that week. My ticket is for October 8th. I decided to skip Tristan to catch Katie Mitchell's Jenůfa at DNO, followed by Lithuanian's foremost composer Onutė Narbutaitė's opera "Cornet".

Lisa Hirsch said...

Tristan on 10/3, Berenice on 10/5, and Huguenots (which I am VERY excited about) on 10/7! Maybe we can meet up in Paris!