Thursday, November 22, 2018

Brooklyn Rider

On my way to the Brooklyn Rider concert at Herbst last Friday, whom should I pass at Civic Center BART, long enough to say hi but not to see what he was reading, but Joshua Kosman, on his way to Oakland for the Oakland Symphony concert?

My review is here; briefly, I liked the first half of the program, consisting of short new works for string quartet, a lot better than the second half, which consisted entirely of a half-baked performance of Beethoven's great quartet op. 132. Kalimac was there as well and wrote about it on his blog; read the comments both there and at SFCV. 

Joshua's Oakland Symphony review is here, and it's a little hard to tell whether or not he had a better time than I did, although the German Requiem is always worth hearing when decently performed.  

2 comments:

Elaine Fine said...

Your comments about their Beethoven are spot on.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Thank you, Elaine.

I understand wanting to play and perform Beethoven, but sometimes it's best to specialize in what you're good at. The opening movement sounded aimless, which is....just wrong.