Monday, March 18, 2019

Met Cast Changes

The first is from last week!
March 14, 2019 Gregory Kunde will sing Samson in the March 16, 19, and 23 performances of Saint-Saëns’s Samson et Dalila, replacing Aleksandrs Antonenko, who is ill.
And jumping in, or maybe I mean off, a performance that is already under way as I publish this:

March 18, 2019 
Iulia Isaev will sing the title role in tonight’s performance of Puccini’s Tosca, replacing Jennifer Rowley, who is ill. Romanian soprano Iulia Isaev makes her Met debut in tonight’s performance of Tosca. Her performances include Donna Anna in Mozart’s Don Giovanni at Vienna State Opera and Opéra du Rhin in Alsace; Fiordiligi in Mozart’s Così fan tutte at Dutch National Opera and Deutsche Oper Berlin; and Elsa in Wagner’s Lohengrin at Greek National Opera. She has sung many roles with Bucharest National Opera including Alice in Verdi’s Falstaff, Tatyana in Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin, Nedda in Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci, and Desdemona in Verdi’s Otello. This season she reprises Alice in Bucharest. The cast for Tosca includes Joseph Calleja as Cavaradossi, Wolfgang Koch as Scarpia, and Philip Cokorinos as Sacristan. Carlo Rizzi conducts. Performances of Tosca run through April 6, 2019. 
 

2 comments:

JSC said...

I was in NYC over the past weekend for my annual Broadway and Met trip and Kunde (and Rachvelishvili) were wonderful in Samson et Dalila. I also had a fantastic time at Die Walkure. However, the big sleeper hit of this year's trip was Hadestown on Broadway at the Walter Kerr. It is a profoundly moving, spectacular piece of theater and I can't get it out of my head.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Just read an article about the Hadestown director, I think - she also directed "Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812"? hadestown sounded cool.

Very glad to hear the two operas were good! I've heard Kunde live only once, on a not-great night for him at SFS, but he's great on the Gardiner Troyens video. I mean, how many tenors make Enee's first entrance sound easy?

We will have Samson in SF at some point in the future, I hear.