Monday, May 06, 2019

Museum Mondays


"Paris Street, Rainy Day", by Gustave Caillebotte
Art Institute of Chicago
March, 2019

This is a very famous painting, one that I have seen reproduced and discussed many times. What I did not know, because I'd never seen it in person, is that it is enormous, measuring about 7 x 9 feet. It's a fabulous painting - you can see the rain glistening on the cobblestones - and wonderful to see in person from just about any distance.

Apologies for my lousy, crooked phone cam photo. My nice little Canon point & shoot, which has a level built into the display screen, had run out of battery by the time I got to the Art Institute, following an architectural tour. (My dSLR's battery is good for at least a thousand photos, but I didn't take it on this trip.)

If you want to read more about the painting, and see a better reproduction, the Art Institute has a web page for "Paris Street, Rainy Day".



No comments: