Thursday, July 30, 2020

Rolling My Eyes

So, there's a fawning Maureen Dowd article about Renée Fleming posted at The NY Times web site this morning. When I read it this morning, having seen the link elsewhere on the internet, I saw this:


Leaving aside the gushing - I don't find Fleming either wholesome or sensual - there's that "fellow soprano Susan Graham." Graham...is a mezzo-soprano.

I sent in a correction notice! I might not have been the only person to do this, and the Times has updated the article, to this:


That...isn't any more correct than their first take. I have sent another correction, this time with suggested wording, since they're incapable of getting this correct. I don't know if it's Dowd or someone deep in editorial who seems unwilling to get this right, but jeez it is annoying.

UPDATE: It's finally correct.



2 comments:

David Bratman said...

I suspect the first correction comes from a person who thinks a mezzo-soprano is a type of soprano, the way that a coloratura soprano is a type of soprano. And that would be a reasonable guess, but only if one knows absolutely nothing about the subject. I'm reminded of the donut store clerk who thought that "non-chocolate" was a type of chocolate.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Sigh, yeah.