Thursday, October 01, 2020

San Francisco Opera Resumes Streaming

 


War Memorial Opera House
Photo by Lisa Hirsch

Starting in roughly ten days, San Francisco Opera will resume its weekly streams of operas staged in the last few years. Here's what's coming.

October 10-11, 2020. Tosca, from 2014, in the Thierry Bosquet production that was in use from 1997 until the first bring-up of the new production. Cast: Lianna Haroutounian (house and role debut), Tosca; Brian Jagde, Cavaradossi; Mark Delavan, Scarpia; Dale Travis, Sacristan; Joel Sorensen, Spoletta; Efrain Solis, Sciarrone; Scott Connor, Angelotti. Riccardo Frizza, conductor; Jose Maria Condemi, director.

October 17-18, 2020. Attila, from 2012. Ferrucio Fulanetto, Attila; Lucrecia Garcia, Odabella (I would swear I saw Oksana Dyka in this?); Quinn Kelsey, Ezio; Diego Torre, Foresto; Samuel Ramey, Pope Leo. Conducted by Nicola Luisotti, directed by Gabriele Lavia.

October 24-25, 2020. Le Nozze di Figaro, from 2015, in the awful old production. Philippe Sly, Figaro; Lisette Oropesa, Susanna; Luca Pisaroni, Count Almaviva; Nadine Sierra, Countess Almaviva; Kate Lindsey, Cherubino; John Del Carlo, Bartolo; Catherine Cook, Marcelina; Maria Valdes, Barbarina. Patrick Summers conducts.

My opinions on these: Haroutounian is worth the price of a ticket for the Tosca, in which Jagde is boxy and Frizza misses almost completely what Puccini needs. I remember nothing about Attila except that I suspected we wouldn't be seeing Ramey here again. I missed this Nozze because I swapped my tickets for Les Troyens so friends on a tight budget could see it. The cast is certainly attractive, although I remember my raised eyebrows over the casting of Nadine Sierra, who had been a charming Papagena, as the Countess.

No comments: