Friday, December 18, 2020

Robin Sutherland


Terrible news from San Francisco Symphony: Robin Sutherland, retired longtime Principal Keyboard, died this morning following a short illness. Seiji Ozawa created the position for him, and he held that title for some 46 years, before retiring in 2018. He was a terrific player and seemed like a lovely person the couple of times I chatted with him. Deepest condolences to his husband Carlos Ortega, other friends and family, and everyone at SFS.

I heard Robin in lots and lots of performances over the years, and...what can I say. I thought he'd have a long and musical retirement and I was looking forward to hearing him in chamber music and in appearances with other organizations. He was on leave for a time a few years ago (I think) for medical reasons, and perhaps he had a reoccurrence of whatever ailed him then. I'm just sorry that he's gone.

You can read more about Robin Sutherland and his career, and the thoughts and memories of his friends and colleagues, at the SFS press room. Joshua Kosman has an informative obit at the Chron.

No comments: