Friday, February 18, 2022

Now Streaming: Paris Opera Les Troyens

This is the production I saw three years ago in Paris, during the 350th anniversary season of the Paris Opera. It was a season of big operas, including Tristan und Isolde (the Peter Sellars "Tristan Experience," with videos by Bill Viola), Les Huguenots, and Rusalka. The cast for Troyens was something: Brandon Jovanovich, Ekaterina Semenchuk, Stéphanie d'Oustrac, Stéphan Degout, Christian Van Horn, and others, with a production by Dmitri Tcherniakov that I liked and found thought-provoking, though I did not like the cuts.

You can now stream this on the web site of the Opera National de Paris for $7.99. (I hope that it doesn't turn out that I need a VPN because they're in Europe.) You can read a review of the production at Mark Berry's blog Boulezian. I interviewed Jovanovich and Van Horn during the Troyens run.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there, I saw your comment at Scalzi's about knowing Mike Ford a little but not having realized that Aspects was soon to see print. If you haven't already seen the story of how that came to be, it's quite a tale:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/john-ford-science-fiction-fantasy-books.html

(Writing you here because I figured it would get lost in the flow over at Whatever.)

Lisa Hirsch said...

Thanks so much! I read the Slate article in 2019 and remember being astonished and pleased.