Sunday, April 10, 2022

Met HD: Don Carlos

The other week, I went to the encore of the Met Opera HD broadcast of Don Carlos, which was heroically sung and acted on one of the ugliest and most awful sets that I have ever seen. San Francisco Opera has had a mediocre production of the opera for about the last quarter century, but I'll tell you, I longed for it throughout the evening. I'm now having second thoughts about visiting Chicago for Lyric Opera's bring-up in September, because they are using the same damn production.  Chicago is using an older McVicar with sets by Richard Jones, whew. (My 2016 review includes some representative photos of the SFO production, and so does my blog post.)


I have questions for David McVicar! Was he inspired by his own production of Les Troyens, which makes effective use (mostly) of a unit set? See the (not very good) photo in Janos Gereben's 2015 review.


Or maybe he was inspired by the Hall of Faces in the House of Black and White in season 5 of HBO's Game of Thrones?




Regardless, it's amazing to me that no one said to him "This is too ugly to put on our stage! Are you out of your mind???"


Conversely, his direction of the singers was mostly very good: character movement on stage made sense and their interactions were well-motivated. Best of all might have been Matthew Polenzani's Carlos, who disintegrated slowly over the course of the opera, with Etienne Dupuis's Rodrigue close behind. No doubt that Dupuis was the most magnetic person on stage; he is a tremendous singer, handsome, and a great actor. The relationship between Carlos and Rodrigue was intense, intimate, very much the driver of much of the action in the opera.*


Oh, and both sang fabulously. Back in 2009, Polenzani gave one of the most beautiful displays of tenor singing that I've ever heard, in SFO's last bring-up of The Abduction from the Seraglio. His most recent appearance, as Carmen's Don José, did not work so well, but this! My gosh, vocally Don Carlos fits him like a glove, despite the length and difficulty. He said during one of the intermission interviews that it doesn't tire him the way some roles do, and he demonstrated that through a long, long evening. Dupuis has a beautifully expressive voice and a nice trill, and did I mention that he's got that special something? I mean. If you want to see more of him, come to SF in June for our upcoming Don Giovanni, the third in Michael Kavanagh's Mozart-Da Ponte series.


There is nominally a romance in the opera, between the title character and Elisabeth de Valois, who becomes his stepmother instead of his wife about 10 minutes into the opera, after they have met and fallen in love. But the central relationships are really between Carlos and Posa, between Carlos and his father, Philippe II, and between Posa and Philippe. Also between everyone and the church. Also there's Princess Eboli, who is A) a good friend of Elisabeth 2) in love with Carlos 3) having an adulterous affair with Philippe (which you find out about 

somewhere in...uh, I think it's Act IV of this monster, which is five hours long with intermissions).


This production, like so many others, dropped the scene where Elisabeth and Eboli exchange veils. Honestly, why? That scene is critical for three reasons. It establishes their friendship, which you need to know to understand Elisabeth's hurt feelings when she discovers Eboli's betrayals; it's related to Eboli's Veil Song, and it sets up the catastrophic misunderstanding in the later garden scene.


As for the women, I like Sonya Yoncheva, though McVicar didn't give her much to do dramatically; she mostly sang very beautifully. I wondered how well Eboli suited Jamie Barton; both arias seemed slower than usual, and at least for the Veil Song, I thought it was to accommodate the speed with which she could sing the ornaments. McVicar's direction of both had odd moments. Eboli practically sneered at one point; Elisabeth swung her hips in what seemed a modern manner. Folks, these are 16th c. Spanish nobles. Treat them like that on stage.


The remaining men didn't fare as well as one might want. I didn't particularly like Eric Owens as Philippe. He was okay, not great. Ditto John Relyea's Grand Inquisitor; there was a lot of posturing and movement, but...Andrea Silvestrelli was more restrained and scarier in SF. (Okay, I admit that I will be lucky to see another Philippe in Rene Pape's class.)


Then there were McVicar decisions that I found bizarre: I mean, no auto-da-fe is complete without an acrobat made up like Heath Ledger's Joker, right? McVicar likes to throw in acrobatics where the libretto doesn't call for them, like the acrobats during "Gloire à Didon" in Les Troyens. Then there's the very end of the opera, where what usually happens is that Philippe comes to take Carlos in for...torture? questioning? and his father mysteriously appears and spirits Carlos away. That isn't what happens here, and I think I will pass on describing it other than to say, well, that's certainly an interesting fantasy.


Lastly, the orchestra sounded dandy under Patrick Furrer's leadership; YN-S was out sick.


I note that Alex Ross, seeing the opera earlier in its run, found Polenzani wooden, and I also note that good direction can tell quite a different story in the HD broadcast from what you see live. Case in point: Karita Mattila dominated the stage in the 2016 SFO Jenufa, but the balance among the principal singers was much more even in the eventual stream of the opera in the summer of 2021, because the camera didn't focus on her. Live, well, you could not take your eyes off her.



5 comments:

Paul McKaskle said...

Conrad Osborne had a very unsympathetic review of this Don Carlo. He didn't like many of the singers or the staging. His review persuaded me not to go see it (though I don't like the insides of movie theaters with the smell of state popcorn so I didn't need much persuasion). Pity because Don Carlo is on my desert island 10 list. (I think my "ten" is stretched to about 13 and that counts the Ring Cycle as a single opera - which it is, isn't it?).

I don't know the staging of the end in this Met performance, but the last SFO version did not have the ghost of Charles V pull Carlo(s) into the tomb. It disappointed me, at least, I think it is a great touch for Filippo to witness this 'enthronement" so to speak of his rebellious son.

A lot of the publicity for this Met performance was that it was in French. But San Francisco did a French Don Carlos in the mid-1980s as I recall. Robert Lloyd was a wonderful Phillipe and it would have been even greater if Jerome Hines has sung the Grand Inquisitor (he was the best I ever saw singing the role).








0.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Presumably this will eventually turn up on Met HD on demand, so if you're curious, you can stream it at home for $4.99. (The single-opera option is hard to find, but it's there.) I had seen a couple of mixed reviews and went anyway, because it's Don Carlos and because everyone mentioned how good Dupuis was.

SFO staged it in French in 1986-87 and 2003-04. I saw both, but barely remember the 80s performance, although I think that the scene with the woodcutters was included in Act 1. I saw Stephen Milling rather than Robert Lloyd this century. The archive has Lloyd singing only three performances. That production had a last-minute tenor swap after the originally-scheduled singer turned up not knowing the French. I remember it as a very mixed bag, and looking at the cast, well....Violetta Urmana and Milling or Lloyd look like the best of the cast.

I meant to note that the opera sounds better in French for sure, so I will add that.

Roy Bergstrom said...

I think Chicago is using a different McVicar production, from Frankfurt, with sets designed by Richard Jones. The Met’s scenic designer is Charles Edwards.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Roy, you're right, and thank you.

Sacto OperaFan said...

I think Don Carlo is my favorite of the Verdi Operas. I've seen SFO's two latest productions - both unsatisfactory. But I absolutely hated the one they used in the 90s - where there were the ever present bodies - I supposed they were supposed to represent the souls of the dead looking in.

The more recent production with all that black reflective plastic or whatever it is is just slightly better. Has anyone ever seen a good DC production?

Have a good day everyone!
-Sacto