Monday, October 03, 2022

San Francisco Symphony: Salonen/Mahler 2, Weston Push

Photo: The San Francisco Symphony with Music Director Esa-Pekka Salonen, perform a program including the World Premiere of “Push” by Emerging Black Composers Project winner Trevor Weston, and “Symphony No. 2” by Gustav Mahler, with soprano Golda Schultz, mezzo-soprano Michelle DeYoung, and the San Francisco Symphony Chorus. At Davies Symphony on Thursday night, September 29, 2022. (Photo by Stefan Cohen)

Music Director Esa-Pekka Salonen leads “Symphony No. 2” by Gustav Mahler, with soprano Golda Schultz, mezzo-soprano Michelle DeYoung, and the San Francisco Symphony Chorus. At Davies Symphony on Thursday night, September 29, 2022. (Photo by Stefan Cohen)
(Clearly this is "Urlicht".)


A trio of reviews with a fourth suspected:

I meant to say something about Salonen observing the pause between the first and second movements of the Mahler, and forgot. I also had a draft lede that was awfully close to what Joshua wrote, but I pulled it in an edit. I can't remember exactly why, but I'll say that I don't have enough of a sonic memory or notes on MTT's performances of Mahler or written reviews to be able to describe accurate how and why Salonen's performance differed, so I concentrated on writing about what was in front of me Thursday night.

I'm expecting at least one blog post from a friend who was there.

No comments: