Wednesday, June 21, 2023

El último sueño de Frida y Diego


Gabriela Lena Frank (composer) and Nilo Cruz (librettist)'s
 El último sueño de Frida y Diego
Photo by Cory Weaver, courtesy of SF Opera


San Francisco Opera's last presentation of the centennial season was Gabriela Lena Frank (composer) and Nilo Cruz (librettist)'s El último sueño de Frida y Diego, which has proven to be a big hit, and with good reason. The music is wonderful, the libretto is excellent, the performers terrific. It was only scheduled for five performances, and considering that the remaining performances are more or less sold out, I expect the company wishes they'd scheduled a couple more.

I filed my review very late and it wasn't published at SFCV until Monday. I was surprised to hear that Joshua Kosman's review, published on line the day after the premiere, didn't make it into print until today. Whatever, if you can get a ticket, go see it. 

My only regret about my review is that I didn't mention that the opera has some pretty funny moments in it, and I should have gushed more over the amazing performance by Yaritza Véliz.


 

Yaritza Véliz as Catrina and Daniela Mack as Frida Kahlo
 in Gabriela Lena Frank and Nilo Cruz's "El último sueño de Frida y Diego."
Photo by Cory Weaver, courtesy of SF Opera

No comments: