Monday, September 16, 2024

San Francisco Symphony: Change of Program


Davies Symphony Hall
Photo by Lisa Hirsch

When the San Francisco Symphony's 2024-25 season was announced, the first concert (not the gala, which isn't until next week, don't ask, I have no idea) was just the Verdi Requiem. Then three works for chorus and orchestra by Gordon Getty appeared, to be performed before intermission: St. Christopher; the Intermezzo from Goodbye, Mr. ChipsGetty’s 2021 opera based on James Hilton’s classic novella; and The Old Man in the Snow, featuring a poem by Getty

The program has been updated yet again. The Getty works have been postponed to a later date, and this week's concerts will be the Verdi Requiem only.

 

9 comments:

Michael Good said...

I would guess this is related to today's AGMA strike authorization: https://www.musicalartists.org/agma-choristers-of-san-francisco-symphony-chorus-and-agma-leadership-overwhelmingly-approve-strike-authorization/

Michael Good said...

But now I've read that it was postponed because Getty wants to record it, and that was decided too late to get that organized in time.

Civic Center said...

Thank god.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Michael, that was what I figured after I heard about the strike authorization. Thank you for the news about Getty.

Civic Center, ha.

JSC said...

This was news I was glad to get. I have tickets to this and was considering timing it to come at intermission and skipping the Getty pieces altogether. His Usher House opera from a few seasons ranks among one of the most boring and tedious performances I've ever attended. Now I hope they can work something out in the 11th hour and none of the Requiem performances are impacted.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Joshua Kosman was forthright about the House of Usher double bill back in 2015.

David Bratman said...

I was curious to hear it and decide for myself.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Seems as though you will get to hear them eventually.

Civic Center said...

I think the meanest review I have ever posted was about Getty and his Usher opera.
https://sfciviccenter.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-fall-of-house-of-getty.html