Thursday, October 24, 2024

Media Round-Up: Tristan und Isolde, San Francisco Opera


Annika Schlicht (Brangäne) and Anja Kampe (Isolde)
Photo: Cory Weaver/San Francisco Opera

  • Lisa Hirsch, SFCV and SF Chronicle. SF Opera decided to call this opera Tristan and Isolde, so my review follows that convention, but this is my blog and I'll stick with the one-letter-different German.
  • Opera Tattler
    • My own tattling: at the October 23 performance, I was in the orchestra section, row H, audience left, just off the center aisle. To my left, in row G or H, someone's phone went off two or three times, mercifully not very loudly, but DURING THE ACT 1 PRELUDE.
  • Patrick Vaz, The Reverberate Hills. A beautiful meditation on what it's like to experience Tristan.
  • Joshua Kosman, essay in the digital
    program. You'll have to scroll to get there, but it's about a crucial aspect of the opera, one that a review just can't discuss at any length.
  • Gabe Meline, KQED. "Its effect is to warp time itself."
Check back in a few days for more reviews.

No comments: