- Marin Alsop conducts Glass's Eighth Symphony at the Cabrillo Festival. Well, you missed this one - it was on August 11th.
- Glass himself and cellist Wendy Sutter present a concert at Herbst Theater on September 28
- A concert at Stanford Lively Arts includes a new commission, a setting by Glass of texts by Leonard Cohen
- San Francisco Opera commissioned Appomattox, about Lee's surrender to Grant at the close of the Civil War
- San Francisco Symphony...um....has nothing by Glass on its schedule for 2007-08, and played nothing of his last season. I'm only half-surprised by this. Last year, a new piece by Steven Stuckey was bumped from a concert in order to make room for a token work by Steve Reich commemorating his 70th birthday. MTT is living up to his reputation as an advocate for new music - in Europe and with the New World Symphony - but not, alas, in San Francisco.
Monday, August 20, 2007
Philip Glass turned 70 on January 31, 2007, and various Bay Area organizations have commemorated this with concerts or commissions. Here's what's coming up around here: