Thursday, December 16, 2010

Season's Greetings?

So I'm getting cute electronic greeting cards from organizations that send me press releases. Today's was from Boosey & Hawkes. When I clicked the link, I was taken to a web page that played the "Troika" movement from Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kije. Okay, I guess the sleigh bells make that seasonal, at least in some parts of the world.

But what on earth persuaded the Los Angeles Philharmonic that a cute animation for the opening Shrovetide Fair music from Stravinsky's Petrouchka was appropriate? Note to LAPO Press Office: Shrovetide is in the Spring.

2 comments:

Joe Barron said...

Shrovetide is actually in late winter, sometimes as early as mid-February, which is still pretty cold in Peter. In any event, I always thought Petrouchka had a Christmassy feel to it, but then, for me, a lot of Russian music has a Chrismassy feel - even overtly vernal stuff like the Russian Easter Overture. I guess I just associate Russia with long nights and snow.

I got that same card from Boosey, but I didn't bother to listen to it.

Sibyl said...

Troikas are as often as not sleighs, so I guess this piece is as Christmas-y as "Sleigh Ride." I find myself pondering the coincidence of two different organizations both choosing Russian composers for their Christmas cheer. (And the Shrovetide music is some of my favorite of all music, so I cannot complain, despite the fact that it will now be stuck in my head for days).