Sunday, July 06, 2008

What Terry Said

Go, run, see the gigantic J.M.W. Turner retrospective at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

I caught this show at the National Gallery in Washington, DC, in November, 2007. It is overwhelming; the cumulative impact of 150 Turners in one place can't be overstated. You might want to go twice and take in half the show each time.

The retrospective is at the Met through September 21, 2008. It's the first Turner retrospective in the United States - this I find amazing - and many of the works are on loan from British museums and private collections. I don't expect to have another opportunity to see them all in one place again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry says, "if you can stand in front of a painting like this without being thrilled to the marrow, you're looking in the wrong direction."

To be ruthlessly honest, looking at the painting in question makes me think that the artist needs eyeglasses.

This is why I spend my time listening to music rather than looking at paintings.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Hah!

Anonymous said...

Despite my snarky comments, we went to see the exhibit as we were in NYC last week. B's favorite was this one.

Lisa Hirsch said...

And yours?