Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Il Postino

LA Opera sent email with a link to a behind-the-scenes page regarding Il Postino, Daniel Catan's new opera, which is being premiered in LA shortly. There's a page with some video, too.

Of note: I like the music a lot and am sorry I'll be missing this. Perhaps it will come to SF some day. On the other hand, missing from the video, which is labeled "first musical rehearsal," a certain aging tenor. And I was dismayed when Cristina Gallardo-Domas opened her mouth; wobble, wobble, wobble. She is in her mid-40s, I'd say; too bad.

6 comments:

The Opera Tattler said...

I am headed down next week to catch this and am terribly excited.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Chance to see Domingo, but CG-D sounds really really bad. :(

John Marcher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Marcher said...

As a Cronenberg fan I was duped into thinking "The Fly" would be interesting, but at this point I don't think I'd see another opera based on a movie again.

Has there been one that's any good?

Lisa Hirsch said...

I think the skill of the particular composer is what's paramount, not the type of source material. Lots of composers have written mediocre Shakespeare operas, but then you have "Falstaff" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream." "Streetcar Named Desire" and "Dangerous Liaisons" both had solid source material and were both mediocre operas.

Henry Holland said...

I think the skill of the particular composer is what's paramount, not the type of source material

Why would anyone think Howard Shore was a good choice to write a full-length opera? Or Deborah Drattell? Or Elliott Goldenthal? Just more pathetic attempts by LA Opera (the Philharmonic is guilty too) to tap in to that Hollywood money that will never show any interest in either organization.