Sunday, June 24, 2012

Indiana University, You Have Something to Answer For

Joshua Bell, interviewed in the NY Times:
I just passed the 1,000-page mark in Ken Follett’s “World Without End,” the follow-up to his “Pillars of the Earth,” one of my all-time favorites. I am fascinated with his depiction of the Middle Ages. Classical music history really started with the Renaissance and then the Baroque period, so I know those eras and the music, but I always wondered what the heck happened before.

9 comments:

Tom DePlonty said...

Send that man a copy of Grout, stat!

(Take a second look at the quote, Lisa...the first part of it is double-pasted.)

Lisa Hirsch said...

Oy! Fixed now, thank you.

Dr.B said...

I went to graduate school there, and believe me, they cover everything quite obsessively. Maybe they wait until graduate school. I tested out of everything romantic and modern, so I studied only Machaut and that stuff. Is that equally absurd?

Lisa Hirsch said...

Haha.

I was thinking the curriculum might be different for prodigy violinists.

Dave MacD said...

I hate to be that guy, but you might want to double-check that headline.

Lisa Hirsch said...

THANK YOU, Dave! (and hahaha) I have fixed the typo. This is about my fourth typo in the last 24 hours, so...

Dr.B said...

Come to think of it I do remember that when you auditioned they classified you. It wasn't just up or down. There may have been a genius class.

Dr.B said...

Come to think of it I do remember that when you auditioned they classified you. It wasn't just up or down. There may have been a genius class.

TiredProf said...

I think I remember that he got a performer's certificate (which means he didn't take much coursework). He was an undergrad when I was there in grad school. Yes, everything was covered obsessively, even back then.