Thursday, November 01, 2012

More on Sandy & the Music World

The Times has an article about visiting nurses and their service during times of great need. One of their patients is the famed countertenor Russell Oberlin, now 84, and, I'm sorry to read, suffering from cancerous tumors on one leg....The NY Phil has had some schedule changes because of Sandy; see their web page for details...A friend reports that Carnegie Hall is moving or canceling performances, not because the hall is flooded or damaged, but because of danger from the hanging crane on 57th Street. Again, see the Carnegie Hall home page for details....David Shengold has a guest post about The Tempest at The Rest is Noise in which he reports that Thomas Ades is haunted by the sinking of HMS Bounty. Me, too: one of the survivors is a friend of mine.

2 comments:

john_burke100 said...

Sorry to hear about Russell Oberlin. I heard him several times with the NY Pro Musica Antiqua at the 92nd St. Y when I was in high school--probably 1956, 57. He had red hair and made a very trim sight in white tie and tails.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Aaaaaaaah. I never saw him perform, but I believe I've got him on some recordings.