Sunday, August 16, 2015

Travel



I had a completely uneventful flight to Germany, after arriving at the airport so early that there was no one in line at the Lufhansa counter. Then it took maybe 15 minutes to get through the TSA line, so I had 90 minutes or so eat dinner, watch planes taking off, and read.

The premium economy seat was probably worth the ridiculous extra cost, considering that the flight to Munich was around 11 hours. There's a lot of leg room, and a significant amount of extra room side to side, so that your are not constantly bumping into your neighbor. But there's a big bulhead-like cabinet between the pairs of seats, so one of your legs can float to the side, but the other cannot, and the seat itself isn't that much wider than standard economy. I will say more or less for sure that I think the Airbus 340 has a much quieter cabin than the 747s flown by US carriers, Virgin, and BA.

I did get some sleep on the plane, which may or may not have made the jet lag any better. I have been going to sleep around midnight, Munich time, and on Sunday (8/16), I woke up around 4, read for several hours, and slept until just after noon (groan). Seems like a similar pattern tonight; went to sleep around 12:30, woke up around 4-something, am now awake and blogging.

I suppose what counts most is that I am conscious between 4 p.m. and midnight starting on Friday, when I will be in Bayreuth listening to a very long Eb major chord.

3 comments:

JSC said...

How exciting! I look forward to reading about the Bayreuth Fest and your take on the operas. What all are you seeing there?

Lisa Hirsch said...

Everything they're doing this year: the Ring, Tristan, Lohengrin, Dutchman.

Henry Holland said...

Considering what a nightmare travel can be these days, nice to read that your trip was pretty uneventful.