A press release from SFS contains information about personnel changes this season:
- Eugene Izotov joins the orchestra as principal oboe.
- Chris Gaudi continues as acting associate oboe, as a one-year substitute.
- Dan Carlson has received tenure as principal second violin.
- Paul Brancato continues as acting associate principal second violin. Members of the section will rotate as acting assistant principal.
- Sarah Knutson continues as a one-year substitute member of the second violin section.
- SFS principal bass Scott Pingel is on a partial leave of absence this season to teach at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
- Associate principal bass Larry Epstein retired at the end of the 2014-15 season, after 41 years with the Orchestra.
- Jeremy Kurtz-Harris, principal bass of the San Diego Symphony, will fill the position of acting associate principal bass, as a one year substitute.
- Mark Grisez continues as acting associate principal trumpet, as a one-year substitute.
- Tim Owner continues as acting associate principal trombone, as a one-year substitute.
- Michael Israelievitch will fill the position of acting principal timpani, as a one-year substitute. (I loved Israelievitch when he filled in for a couple of concerts in the 2012-13 season, including David Robertson's Carter/Gershwin/Ravel program.)
Related post: Auditions, San Francisco Symphony