Anna Netrebko withdrew just last week from upcoming Norma productions at both the Metropolitan Opera (opening night, 2017-18) and the Royal Opera (fall, 2016-17). Now the Met has announced what will happen instead. Presumably the ROH, Dallas Opera, and Vienna State Opera (just wait) have done the same.
- Sondra Radvanovsky replaces Netrebko in the Met opening night 2017-18 production. (In my opinion, this was a predictable and desirable casting, and let me say that Rad was terrific in SF the other year.) She is also singing Leonora in Calixto Bieito's new staging of La Forza del Destino in the same season, which will be her company role debut.
- For this to happen, the Vienna State Opera released Radvanovsky from her scheduled appearances as the Trovatore Leonora....
- ....which will instead be sung by Anna Netrebko. In other words, they are swapping engagements.
- Netrebko is still singing the Trovatore Leonora and Tosca at the Met in 2017-18.
- MEANWHILE in London, Sonya Yoncheka (!) will sing Norma at the ROH in the fall of 2016-17. I did not see this one coming.
- The Met released Yoncheva from scheduled appearances as Mimi in La Boheme so that she could sing Norma in London.
- Ailyn Perez is available to sing Mimi in the Met performances originally to be sung by Yoncheva....
- ...because she decided to postpone her role debut as Tatiana at the Dallas Opera this fall.
Whew! Fast work, y'all.
What I want to know (not covered in the Met's four-company press release): when will Sonya Yoncheva sing in San Francisco, and what will she be singing?