Monday, June 27, 2016

Tomatoes

This year's tomatoes, a couple of weeks ago. They're bigger now.
Photo: me


For the first time in more than ten years, I've got tomato plants going.

I know, I know, between our weekly CSA box, local stores, and the farmers' markets, do I really need my own tomatoes?

Not really! But I loved watching them grow and I love having varieties you can't necessarily get even at farmers' markets. I've got these planted:

  • Stupice
  • Flamme
  • Gold Nugget
  • Druzba

Two are early-season, one mid-season, one late, so we should have home-grown tomatoes into October.

I won't be doing a weekly post about them, but once in a while, yes.

7 comments:

Patrick J. Vaz said...

When you eat one right off the vine, still warm from the sun, you will know why you needed to plant your own tomatoes.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Haha, yeah.

Civic Center said...

I don't even like tomatoes, particularly, but am envious.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Heh! I love them, so....

Molly said...

We exercised restraint this year and limited ourselves to 8 varieties (though we still have dozens of plants):
Amish Paste
Cherokee Purple
Paul Robeson (a Russian heirloom, named after the opera singer)
San Marzano (paste)
Celebrity
Sweet 100 (cherry)
Pruden's Purple (similar to Brandywine, but better)
Matt's Wild Cherry

Molly

Lisa Hirsch said...

I've grown several of those in the past: Cherokee Purple, Paul Robeson, Sweet 100, and I think Pruden's Purple. I saw Matt's Wild Cherry this year but because I was limiting myself to just four...

I need to take another photo because 3 of my 4 plants are so big they need to go into tomato bondage to keep them from falling over: cages and string.

Molly said...

We tend to repeat because we save seeds and grow our own plants from the saved seed. There are a lot of problems with blight here, and growing your own is the best way to be sure your plants are not contaminated from the start. We do branch out and buy seed for a "new" variety every now and then. We have a broccoli named Amadeus this year that we have not grown before.