Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Grist for the Web Site Basics Page

There's an organization in town whose performances I don't attend very often, but this season, there are a couple I'd like to see. I went to buy my tickets and discovered I hadn't saved my password, presuming I have an account there, and there's no guest purchase option.

So I tried the reset process. I clicked the link to request a password change email; I got the email; I copied the link into my preferred browser. I generated a password and typed it in, twice.

And I got a Token Expired error.

SO I tried again. This time, after I got the email from the organization, I just clicked the link and typed in the password I had generated.

I got a Token Expired error again. This means that the org has a time limit set somewhere that is too short for actually changing your password. There's a note to call the box office if you have a problem changing your password, but if I liked to make phone calls, I wouldn't be trying to order on the web site.

I emailed the box office instead, asking them to pass my email to IT so that the problem could be fixed. It's possible that I never had a password for this organization, but if that is the problem, that should be the error message I get: we can't find an account for you, so click this link to create one.

Le sigh. If I find myself in that neighborhood, I will buy at the box office. If not....well, maybe the org will fix this UX issue before the performance I'd like to see.

2 comments:

David Bratman said...

At least half my phone calls to ticket-selling organizations these days begin, "I was trying to buy a ticket on your web site, but ..."

Lisa Hirsch said...

This was unexpected. I did eventually manage to buy the ticket. Generally, I don't run into issues.