Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Media Round-Up and Further Commentary on Così fan tutte at San Francisco Opera


John Brancy as Guglielmo, Ferruccio Furlanetto as Don Alfonso,
 and Ben Bliss as Ferrando in the opening scene of Mozart's "Così fan tutte."

Photo: Cory Weaver/San Francisco Opera


Reviews of the San Francisco Così  are coming in, so here's the start of a round-up:

It's interesting to see how the reviewers shake out over the liveliness of the production. For me and Joshua, it's an energetic delight, for Christian Ocier, it's "cartoonish farce", "oafish antics", "slapstick", and "cheap laughs."

Steven Winn also likes the production. I tried unsuccessfully to work something into my review about the production skating as close as possible to edge of farce without crossing the line, so I was aware of the risks Cavanagh took. Unlike Ocier, I felt he negotiated this fine line extremely well.

Ocier also points out Cabell's low-register weakness, and that's fair; I would have liked more punch in the low end of "Come scoglio," but otherwise I thought she did fine in the aria.


Ferruccio Furlanetto as Don Alfonso and Nicole Heaston as Despina in Mozart's "Così fan tutte."
Photo: Cory Weaver/San Francisco Opera

My review tries to convey the intelligence of the direction, the virtues of which include the lack of stand-and-sing and ample helpings of well-motivated detail. The above photo puts some of this across: Despina is in the forefront, about to fake-shock Guglielmo and Ferrando back to consciousness after their fake suicides. Instead of standing and watching her, Don Alfonso is examining the magnets. This seems entirely in character for him. 


Nicole Heaston as Despina in Mozart's "Così fan tutte."
Photo: Cory Weaver/San Francisco opera



More evidence of the attention to detail that is typical of the production: you know those two books that Despina pulls out of a piano bench (I think) and hands to the sisters, who are reading magazines? I couldn't make out the titles even with binoculars, so I asked about them. They are Anais Nin's Winter of Artifice (published 1939) and Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer (published 1934). They just might bear on the subject matter of the opera, and they date the production precisely.



John Brancy as Guglielmo and Ben Bliss as Ferrando in Mozart's "Così fan tutte."
Photo: Cory Weaver/San Francisco Opera

The fur coats made me wonder whether this is a subtle nod to Mandryka in Arabella, but that's probably wrong. Another line I didn't manage to work in is "these people live in a world where a fake mustache and mussed hair are somehow a convincing disguise...only maybe they're not."


Nicole Cabell as Fiordiligi and Irene Roberts as Dorabella in Mozart's "Così fan tutte."
Photo: Cory Weaver/San Francisco Opera

Aren't the sisters adorable??

Blasts from the past:
UPDATED: November 27, 2021






9 comments:

Civic Center said...

Put me on the "love" side of the list. I've heard all this music sung better by different individuals over the years, but this cast worked together with energy, athleticism, and style, keeping you absorbed throughout a long opera that can easily turn into a slog. The production and direction were superb. After reading Christian Ocier's description of overdone slapstick and "cartoonish farce," which I tend to dislike, I was apprehensive, but Ocier was wrong. The movement from farce in the first act to serious emotion in the second act is part of what this opera is all about, and for the first time in my viewing experience, that shift was organic. Will eventually be writing about this and "Messalina" in my New York Review of Books essay, "Sexual Fidelity and Social Class in Italian Opera." (Just joking, it will be at "Civic Center".)

Lisa Hirsch said...

Ahahaha.

Yeah, it's wonderful, one of the best-conceived, best-performed, and best-conducted Mozart productions of the last 25 or so years. I'll be seeing it for the second time on Saturday.

David Bratman said...

All right, you've sold me. I'm not an opera fan, but I do like Mozart (and I've seen Cosi before, from Pocket Opera years ago). I'm going next Friday.

Lisa Hirsch said...

I hope that you like it!

Lisa Hirsch said...

I need to add a sentence or two to this round-up. Left something out!

Lisa Hirsch said...

Duly updated; new photo and a new paragraph.

Sacto OperaFan said...

Dear Lisa,

Glad you enjoyed this Cosi so much. It's probably my least favorite Mozart opera. But I may give it a go since you loved it so much and I trust your opinion. If not this run, the next.

Maybe I just haven't been lucky to catch a great production of this opera. I saw the run with Nathan Gunn (I was surprised he didn't remove any of this clothing). It was okay. I do like some of the soprano arias. I kept thinking, I wish I could have heard Carol Vaness (my fav Mozart singer) as Fiordiligi.

Cheers! Hope you had a bountiful feast day.

Lisa Hirsch said...

I saw that production as well, also with Gunn, and it was a big shrug, especially compared to this one, which is so hilarious and touching.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Oh, and I agree that it would have been great to see Vaness as Fiordiligi. She was a great Mozart singer.