Friday, January 06, 2023

Speculation: San Francisco Opera, 2023-24 Season


War Memorial Opera House and Veterans Building
Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco
Collection of Lisa Hirsch

San Francisco Opera will be announcing its next season later this month. I don't have the date yet, but for the past few years, they've sent the press release out during the last full week of the month, so probably around January 24, 2023. We can actually put together the shape of the season from the centennial season press release and other public information. That the first three operas would be in the 2023-24 season was in that press release. We also know that there's a plan for Music Director Eun Sun Kim to conduct one Verdi opera and one Wagner opera per season.

Assuming that we're still looking at eight-opera seasons, here's what is known or might be guessed at:
  1. Kaija Saariaho, Innocence (U.S. premiere, as far as I know). Presumably this would be conducted by Susanna Mälkki.
  2. Mason Bates, The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs
  3. Rhiannon Giddens and Michael Abels, Omar
  4. Verdi, TBD, conducted by Eun Sun Kim. Could be Rigoletto, could be Macbeth. Could be the canceled Ernani. Could be something that hasn't been done in a long time, like Les vepres Sicilienne/I vespri Siciliani.
  5. Wagner, TBD, conducted by Eun Sun Kim. I have heard rumors of Lohengrin and of Tristan und Isolde, with Simon O'Neill's name attached to both.
  6. Speculation: Puccini, La Boheme. This is my guess, based on something Matthew Shilvock said at the opening concert last year. Maybe conducted by Eun Sun Kim, or maybe this will be for former music director Nicola Luisotti.
  7. Speculation: Saint-Saens, Samson et Dalilah. 
  8. Speculation: Something Russian? One of the Opera for All commissions?
Also speculating: Eun Sun Kim conducted or conducts four of this season's operas plus two concerts, so she'll lead at least four of the above plus the opening night gala.

 

2 comments:

CruzSF said...

I missed that the Bates opera will finally arrive here. Happy to hear about that. I hope the Verdi opera will be Ernani but would be happy for Les vepres Sicilienne/I vespri Siciliani.

For the Puccini, I missed Shilvock's comment alluding to La Boheme. No surprise, I'd rather have Il Trittico or La Fanciulla but will attend Boheme if that's the work chosen.

For Wagner, I'll be happy with Tristan because I've never seen it staged. Do you think Parsifal is less likely for next season?

For the 8th opera, I've love Les Huguenots, but I know it's an expensive work to stage, and the season so far is very costly with three contemporary works. If it must be Russian, then Pique Dame would be my first choice (I've never seen it in person and I'm a Tchaikovsky fan).

What makes you speculate that Samson might return next season?

Lisa Hirsch said...

At the season-opening concert last year, Shilvock remarked that Pene Pati would be appearing soon in La Bohème; I can't remember if he said next year or not, but in a season with three new operas, it would be a sensible cash cow.

Yes, I think that Parsifal is less likely for next season.

With you on Huguenots; it's a great piece! I would be happy if they'd stage any Meyerbeer. SFO had Pique Dame during the Rosenberg years in an interesting Richard Jones production that had a couple of oddities.

I've heard reliably about Samson from someone close to the production and it might not be next season, but soon.