Friday, November 24, 2023

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Gustavo?

 


Davies Symphony Hall
Photo by Lisa Hirsch

Back in April, 2022, I reviewed a San Francisco Symphony program led by guest conductor Gustavo Dudamel, the outgoing music director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic. That program consisted of Mozart's Prague Symphony and Mahler's 5th. Among other things, I wrote:
The [Mahler] Adagietto lacked sinew and a sense of the underlying structure of the movement and seemed not just slow, but laggard. This was an issue for the entire work: Dudamel seemed to be conducting moment by moment, without illuminating the larger structure of each movement and the symphony as a whole. While his conducting wasn’t metronomic, he lacked an organic sense of the underlying pulse of each movement and thus lacked the kind of graceful rhythmic flexibility within a phrase that good Mahler conducting needs. And he too often overlooked subtle dynamic changes as well.
Dudamel was back at SFS tonight, for this program:

  • Gabriela Ortiz, Kauyumari
  • Gonzalo Grau, Odisea, concerto for cuatro (a four-string Venezuelan guitar)
  • Brahms, Symphony No. 2
I liked the Ortiz a great deal; it is a bouncy, not-exactly-minimalist work built around a theme from an earlier work of hers that in turn is based on a traditional story from Mexico. I'd love to hear more of her music.

Odisea was a lot of fun, with stunningly great playing by cuatro soloist Jorge Glem. I would not call it deep; I found it formally amorphous and somewhat episodic, but I'm also not sure that matters. It had plenty of color and big tunes. Glem is a marvel, a virtuoso, and fit splendidly into the changes of mood over the course of the 25-minute concerto. His encore was a quick trip through excerpts from a bunch of classical works and other tunes, and, again, great fun. I'd go see him play solo or in a small group any day.

And now the bad news: some things never change. The first two movements of the Brahms were Not Good. What I said in 2022 about lack of sinew and a sense of underlying structure applied here as well. The opening of the first movement dragged; what followed was episodic and seemingly boneless. The second movement was much the same. Brahms was, beyond a doubt, a structure guy, and if the listener have no sense of where the music is going, well, the conductor is doing something wrong. Brahms's phrases tend to be big, and Dudamel made them feel small. There was not much flow from phrase to phrase, either.

I don't know what happened between the second and third movements, but...the third was pretty good and the fourth movement worked really well. It was propulsive; it had direction; it had shape. I also must mention some particularly beautiful and elegant playing by principal horn Robert Ward, who is retiring at the end of the year. I am going to miss him.

Elsewhere:



6 comments:

Bryan said...

I believe this is Ward's last subscription concert. There is some brass ensemble thing to follow.

Lisa Hirsch said...

He might be in Messiah? That's the last concert I have a ticket to, though I can't remember whether it was a subscription ticket or not.

You might have seen the discussion in comments to the post <a href="https://irontongue.blogspot.com/2023/11/more-sfs-retirements.html>More SFS Retirements</a> about rumors that an offer has been made to David Cooper (current associate principal of the LA Phil, former principal of the CSO, Dallas, and the BPO.)

Bryan said...

There aren't horns in the Messiah, though perhaps there are reorchestrations for a bigger sound. I don't know what SFS does. Jonathan Ring posted on Facebook, "So my dear friend and colleague, Robert Ward, plays his last subscription concert next week - Brahms 2 with Gustavo Dudamel conducting." I forget where I read about a brass concert.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Ring would know! I AM going to miss Ward.

Robert Ward said...

Thanks for the nice comments, Lisa. So one more Brahms today (Sunday), then Audra MacDonald on Wednesday, a Family concert on Saturday, then the non-SFS Bay Brass Xmas concert at Grace on the 18th, and I finish up my 43 years on the 21st with the Holiday Brass at Davies. It's been a great run, and I count myself unimaginably fortunate to have been able to play the world's greatest music with some of the best musicians anywhere. Not many people can say that they did what they set out to do, but in my case, I can. I look forward to hearing my colleagues perform their magic, just from somewhat farther away. All best, and keep up the good work. -BW

Lisa Hirsch said...

You're very welcome, Bob. I might try to get to one of those programs!

And I'm reliving some fond memories of your playing, particularly the Britten Serenade, a favorite piece of mine, during the centennial of his birth. I'll be looking for you in the audience at SFS.

And I hope to continue the good work.