Sunday, March 24, 2024

Representation

In my in-box, information from two California music festivals.

  • La Jolla Music Festival, music director Inon Barnatan. Of approximately 60 works performed, two are by women of color and one by a Black man. So, 1/20th. Pretty sure one of the works by a woman is one movement of a larger piece.
  • Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music, music director Cristian Măcelaru, 15 composers featured, 7 are women. I can't quite tell what the story is for two of the concerts (Greg Smith: VIBE and In concert with Phillipe Quint), but of the 14 works listed, 7 are by women. Because of my uncertainty about those two concerts, I think this isn't quite 50/50 but it's so much closer to parity, and the works composed by women are all substantial. We're not seeing token 12 minute curtain-raisers here. Go, Cabrillo! (Me, I am particularly interested in Helen Grime's violin concerto, performed by Leila! Josefowicz!)

No comments: