Wednesday, March 13, 2024

They're Not the Same.

Your toothbrush subscription and a subscription to, say, the San Francisco Symphony.

Over at the S.F. Chronicle, Joshua Kosman interviewed Aubrey Bergauer, who has published a book about  how arts organizations can succeed in the current climate.

Bergauer is smart and practical; she made an enormous impact on the California Symphony, where she was executive director from 2014 to 2019. But in this interview she says the following, which I disagree with:

“So much of our lives as consumers is based on a membership economy, things like Netflix and Amazon. My toothbrush literally gets delivered to my door on subscription. As I was researching the book, I found that 20 percent of all global credit card transactions go toward a subscription or membership.

“And yet in the arts, we’re told that the subscription model doesn’t work! These two things just don’t compute.”

I'd say that there is a significant difference between an object that arrives at your door (or in your smart TV) on a particular schedule and an experience where you have to be at a particular location at the correct time.

My Peet's subscription (don't look at me that way; you can no longer get Garuda Blend in the stores) arrives on my front porch roughly once a month, but the date and time of day vary. That's okay! I mostly care about whether, if we're about to run out, we need to change the delivery date or get a pound of beans elsewhere. I don't have to be there to sign for the delivery. If it came at 2 a.m., that would be fine.

In other words, once it's set up, it's a passive process. I can make changes to suit my convenience, but the coffee will get there every month regardless.

But my San Francisco Symphony subscription places a lot of responsibility on me. I have to be at Davies Symphony Hall, in my seat, on most Fridays at 7:30 p.m. I can exchange for another date, to be sure, but that'll cost me $15. (Yes, I find this incredibly annoying and I'm sure Bergauer has something to say about these damned fees.) The difference is that I must be active about this: get to the scheduled concert at the right time* and place, and if I can't make the date, swap the ticket or donate it back.

Look at this this way:

  • Toothbrush subscription: Your toothbrush magically appears on your doorstep! Once it's set up, you don't need to do much.
  • Orchestra subscription: You have to dress, leave your house, and get yourself to the concert venue, which can take from ten minutes, if you live around the block, to a lot more, if, say, you live in the East Bay.
One issue Bergauer doesn't address: generational differences. There's a general belief, and it might be the truth, that younger people want more flexibility and spontaneity in their activities than older generations, who were willing to commit to subscriptions. This is in part because there is so much to choose from. It is absolutely the truth that the percentage of income to arts orgs from ticket sales has declined radically since the 1960s. Matthew Shilvock, general director of SF Opera, has recently quoted 60% down to 16%. I should have asked about the change in percentage of subscribers, but it's well known that there's been a big decline there as well.

So: how do you get more people to subscribe? I'd love to know that.

* I've been tripped up at least once by accidentally getting a ticket to a Thursday matinee performance.

10 comments:

David Bratman said...

When I subscribed to the California Symphony for a 3-concert series, I had to pick between Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon concerts. I picked Sunday, but then schedule conflicts forced me to move two of the three concerts to Saturday.

Part of the problem was that California Symphony sends its renewals out before other institutions do. I'd praise them for that, but it does mean that I don't know yet about unavoidable conflicts.

Josh Williams said...

I realize this is off topic, but did you see the post on Slippedisc which said Salonen will not be renewing his contract with SFS? Mind you, I take everything on that site with a grain or two of salt. If it is true, it will be quite a loss.

Robert Ward said...

I'm sure that today's news is just the ticket.

Josh Williams said...

Thank you, Robert! I had checked the news on the SFS website before I commented, but the news hadn't been posted yet.

I just want to thank you for so many years of beautiful horn playing at the Symphony. My first concert there was as a teenager hearing Mahler's 6th, the day after 9/11/21. I was floored by your warm and sensitive playing. I hope SFS is able to find a replacement for you soon, but I imagine it is challenging.

Lisa Hirsch said...

The news is in the season announcement press release, not on the SFS landing page because honestly this is a disaster for the orchestra and they don't want it to be the first thing regular folks see.

Joshua Kosman has two articles up at the Chron and barely mentions the new season because it's not the big news today.

Lisa Hirsch said...

And Bob, yeah.

Robert Ward said...

@Josh -- thanks for the kind words. It was a privilege play for 43 years -- not a day went by that I wasn't inspired by my amazing colleagues and touched by the response of our audiences. But this seems like a very difficult moment for my former organization -- perhaps there needs to be an effort to send the members of the Board each a mirror.

Joshua Kosman said...

• Bob Ward retires
• Things go to shit

Coincidence? I think not.

Robert Ward said...

@Joshua Kosman - You think you are joking, but you are closer to the truth than you realize. The previous 2 times I have left orchestras, they have collapsed. In 1979, when I left the Atlantic Symphony in Halifax, NS, it flamed out and had to reorganize into Symphony Nova Scotia. And when I left the Denver Symphony in 1980 to come to SF, it also crumbled, putting in motion its reorganization as the Colorado Symphony. So no one should have been surprised. I held out as long as I could, LOL.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Makes sense. And Salonen was a horn player.