Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Broadcasts This Week


Die Frau ohne Schatten
Courtesy of Festival d'Aix-en-Provence
Photo by Monika Rittershaus, copyright 2026
Vida Miknevičiūtė (Empress), Ambur Braid (Dyer's Wife), Michael Spyres (Emperor), Brian Mulligan (Barak)


There are radio broadcasts and streaming available for some of the productions I saw in July and August.

The Salzburg Festival has an extensive program of radio and TV broadcasts on various stations. Radio broadcasts are available until about a month after the performances. 

medici.tv, which is available in the United States, will stream video of Ariadne auf Naxos on Thursday, August 20 at 11 a.m. and Il Viaggio a Reims on Friday, August 21 at 11:00 a.m.

For complete information on broadcasts, see the Salzburg Festival Broadcast web page.

 Arte has re-posted the Aix Frau video, which is well worth seeing. Frau and Viaggio were both directed by Barrie Kosky, and wow, they were both great.

I do not yet know whether the Ariadne and Viaggio broadcasts will stay on Medici.tv for a while or are one-shot deals. I am going to try to watch them both. Ariadne got booed (the director made a major plot intervention in the Opera!) and Viaggio was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I hope you get to see them.

No comments: