Wednesday, October 07, 2026

San Francisco Symphony Last Week


Michael Tilson Thomas
Photo: Brandon Patoc, courtesy of San Francisco Symphony

I didn't review SF Symphony's Concert for MTT, a concert in honor of and in memory of the late conductor, whose leadership over his 25 years as music director was truly remarkable. It was as you might expect, a varied program of music that was important to him, sung or played or conducted by those who were close to him.

Of course, I had some favorites; Sasha Cooke singing, Jamie Bernstein's amazing recollections of the young MTT and their long friendship (and his friendship with her father Leonard), Teddy Abrams and Edwin Outwater's conducting, the Symphony Chorus in a brief marvel by Meredith. Monk, reminisces by bass Chung-Wai Soong and piccolo player Catherine Payne (she was hilarious!). I wish Flicka had been there; at MTT's 80th birthday concert, she was riveting in a Debussy song.

I did review the Strauss program the day before, with Santtu-Matias Rouvali and Renée Fleming. 

Media round-up of both:
  • Lisa Hirsch, SFCV and SF Chronicle. Despite what I note about her singing, Fleming did get a standing ovation from a loving audience. If you're looking for a great performance of Vier Letzte Lieder, try Soile Isokoski, who is about perfect. Historically, Kirsten Flagstad is amazingly grand and beautiful. Jessye Norman's recording is eccentrically slow, magnificently sung.
  • Joshua Kosman, On a Pacific Aisle, Strauss concert and MTT concert. I agree with him about Fleming, on all counts. I was never a fan, but I loved Ruth Ann Swenson, whose career roughly paralleled that of Fleming. Swenson was not much of an actress, but she sang with such joy and liveliness, and, to my ear, a much more beautiful voice.
  • Jeff Kaliss, MTT concert, SFCV

 

No comments: