Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cranky YBCA Posting

Yes, this is going up before I say anything about Four Saints.

First, a warning: if you're thinking of going to an event at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, buy your tickets over the phone or in person. That's because their on-line ticketing system doesn't give you a choice of where to sit. So I got to YBCA Friday night and discovered that seats B13 and B14 were in the second row up against the far left wall. This would have been physically intolerable because I can't stand having my head turned that far for the length of a musical performance. (I once swapped a whole season's worth of SF Opera tickets for seats scattered around the Dress Circle because the seat originally assigned to me was too close to a wall.)

Luckily, there was just enough time for me to run to the box office, fork over an additional $50, and get our seats moved to the center section in row Q. This was far enough back that I was sorry I hadn't brought my binoculars, but whatever. I was not in pain!

Now for the real crankiness. I just received email thanking me for attending Four Saints. Okay, that's fine, but it reminded me that I needed to send email to someone at YBCA about the on-line ticketing issues. So I went to the Contact Us page and found what I consider to be a major problem: not one actual human's name is listed there, just a bunch of email aliases.

I'm sorry: you're a nonprofit institution, and you should list your administrators' names, and preferably their email addresses, or you look like a bunch of cowards. For that matter, why are there only fax and phone numbers for Administration? Who are you hiding from? People who might want to contact you??


sfmike said...

Dear Lisa: You heard the YBCA development director give his speech at the top of the evening and get the name of the opera wrong. Why would you expect their on-line ticketing to be anything but idiotic?

Lisa Hirsch said...

Hahahaha. You're right!