Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cranky YBCA Posting

Yes, this is going up before I say anything about Four Saints.

First, a warning: if you're thinking of going to an event at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, buy your tickets over the phone or in person. That's because their on-line ticketing system doesn't give you a choice of where to sit. So I got to YBCA Friday night and discovered that seats B13 and B14 were in the second row up against the far left wall. This would have been physically intolerable because I can't stand having my head turned that far for the length of a musical performance. (I once swapped a whole season's worth of SF Opera tickets for seats scattered around the Dress Circle because the seat originally assigned to me was too close to a wall.)

Luckily, there was just enough time for me to run to the box office, fork over an additional $50, and get our seats moved to the center section in row Q. This was far enough back that I was sorry I hadn't brought my binoculars, but whatever. I was not in pain!

Now for the real crankiness. I just received email thanking me for attending Four Saints. Okay, that's fine, but it reminded me that I needed to send email to someone at YBCA about the on-line ticketing issues. So I went to the Contact Us page and found what I consider to be a major problem: not one actual human's name is listed there, just a bunch of email aliases.

I'm sorry: you're a nonprofit institution, and you should list your administrators' names, and preferably their email addresses, or you look like a bunch of cowards. For that matter, why are there only fax and phone numbers for Administration? Who are you hiding from? People who might want to contact you??

2 comments:

Civic Center said...

Dear Lisa: You heard the YBCA development director give his speech at the top of the evening and get the name of the opera wrong. Why would you expect their on-line ticketing to be anything but idiotic?

Lisa Hirsch said...

Hahahaha. You're right!